March 5, 2023
Message Big Idea
Ordinary daily habits are like liturgies. “They are little routines of worship, and worship changes what we love” (Habits of the Household: Practicing the Story of God in Everyday Family Rhythms (p.11). Our guest speaker, Justin Earley, contends that God works through habits to change parents, children, and families in conformity with Christ’s love. Our habits of CONVERSATION both with God and with others can shape the direction of our internal and external lives.
(Note: While the message this weekend was geared to families, there is a message for all of us here in regard to fellowship, relationships, and community. Expect God to meet you where you are at!)
- What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Think back to the conversations you had with your parent(s) growing up. Can you now or could you ever imagine friendship with your parents?
- If you are over 30 years old or so, did that change at all when you entered young adulthood (generally your 20’s)?
- Think about your response to the “Lean In” question above. How might your response impact how you pursue your relationship with God?
- Read John 15:15 – “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (Jesus)
- Now go back and read John 15:1-15. How does the fact that Jesus calls us “friend” impact the way we “abide” (or remain) in Him?
- Without intentionality, what do our typical conversations (prayers) with God look like? Without intentionality, what do our typical friendships with others look like?
- Read this Justin Earley quote to the groups: “We were made for God and each other, and we can’t become lovers of God and neighbor without intimate relationships where vulnerability is sustained across time. In habitual, face-to-face conversation with each other, we find gospel practice; we are laid bare to each other and loved anyway.”
- What part do your friendships play in your spiritual growth?
- What part does this small group play in your spiritual growth?
Live It Out
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e., “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word.