February 12, 2023
Message Big Idea
What is the first thing you do upon waking? How does that shape your view of the day? Of yourself? Of God? What we do first thing in the morning says a lot about our true priorities. To what or to whom will we give the first fruits of each day’s time and attention? When we WAKE and put Jesus at the forefront of our mind, we learn to give our best energy to what matters most. This is our first “Habit of the Household” we will look at in this series.
- What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Are you a “Morning Person” or an “Evening Person”? Typically, what is the first thing on your mind when you wake up? What is the last thing on your mind when your head hits the pillow?
- As a group, discuss your thoughts and recollections of the weekend message. What part(s) of the message impacted you the most?
- Have different people in the group look up and read the following verses:
- Mark 1:34-39
- Psalm 119:147
- Isaiah 33:2
- Psalm 5:3
- Genesis 19:27
- Genesis 26:31
- Exodus 8:20
- Why do you think the biblical example of rising early in the morning to seek the Lord is so clear? Is it more about the actual time of day, or something else?
- What are some non-spiritual (or non-religious) morning habits you have heard about or experienced in our culture related to health or productivity? Are these habits that can be found in a self-help book?
- How do the “waking” principles found in the verses you just read (and in Pastor Mark’s message) differ from those self-help practices?
- Now describe your personal (and/or your family’s) morning routine? How do you think your current routine(s) shapes your personal and/or your children’s view of the world and God?
- If you were to try practicing scripture before your phone for a week, how would you rearrange your morning?
- (If you are married and/or have children) What is one routine you could start with your spouse or children in the morning that could shape the day in a different direction? (This could be reading a Psalm together, or reciting the Lord’s Prayer, or even a kneeling moment in silence holding hands.)
Live It Out
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e., “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word.