June 19, 2022 – Pastor Bill Yaccino
1 John 2:7-17
Message Big Idea – John wrote, in no uncertain terms, that if we claim to know and love God, we must show this by doing what God commands. The way we treat others is the measure of our love and obedience. At the same time, the bible teaches that there are influences in this world that are like hackers that get into our minds and heart and start speaking to who we are in ways that pull us away from God. You may or may not change the world, but you don’t have to let the world change you!
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Think of a current TV or social media advertisement or commercial. To what human desires does it appeal? What message is the ad trying to give in order to get you to notice and buy their product
- Read 1 John 2:7-17 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- Read Romans 12:1-2. Discuss what you think Paul means as patterns of the world.
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:20-31. What does this passage tell us about the difference between the world’s wisdom and God’s wisdom?
- The voice of the world wants you to believe that it’s going to take a lot more than Jesus to make you happy. Create and discuss a list of ways the world tries to convince you to find happiness outside of Jesus.
- Read 1 John 2:15-17, James 4:4, 1 Corinthians 7:29-31, 2 Corinthians 10:5, John 17:11, 14-18.
- Explain how these verses help us to take control of the world’s voice by letting God’s word continually renew our mind.
- What areas of “the world” are most tempting to you?
- What areas of your life are most affected (positively; fruit of the Spirit) when you love God and do his will instead of being pulled by the “the world”?
Live It Out:
- Spend time this week inviting the Holy Spirit to use the Word of God to have a greater degree of influence over our minds.
- As you invite the Holy Spirit in, ask yourself these questions when you feel the world’s influence pulling you away or challenging you:
- What does the Bible say about this?
- How is God leading me to pray about this?
- What does my conscience (Holy Spirit nudges) say?
- Am I talking to and listening to trusted advisors/counselors about this?