June 26, 2022 – Pastor Drew Litwiller
1 John 2:18-29
Message Big Idea – Jesus is the Christ, which means Anointed One. Through His anointing, we receive an anointing from His Holy Spirit, who gives us a direct connection to Jesus and to God the Father. This same Spirit teaches us what we need to know so that we can discern between truth and lies. Our job is to remain in the Spirit and remain in Jesus.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- What is one area or topic or specialty or skill in life that you personally know so well that you have complete confidence you can hold your own and speak confidently into? Maybe it’s cooking? Maybe it’s math? Maybe it’s history? Or car repair? Or Theology? What is it? How did you get to be “an expert” of sorts in that area?
- Read 1 John 2:18-29 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- What is your usual response to ideas or philosophies that cast doubts about who Jesus is?
- Do you know anyone personally that struggles or doubts that Jesus is real and relevant and can be an active part of our lives?
- How have you experienced the Holy Spirit teaching you?
- What areas of your life are most affected (positively) when you “remain” in Jesus? What does it look like for you to “remain” in Christ?
- If someone you know was unsure about their salvation (assurance of salvation), how would you respond to help them?
Live It Out:
- Read Matthew 5, 6, and 7 this week. As you read, be praying that the Holy Spirit would teach you how to remain in Jesus. Did the Holy Spirit highlight anything in these chapters as your next step in remaining in Jesus?