July 10, 2022 – Pastor Bill Yaccino
1 John 3:11-24
Message Big Idea – God saw that we had gotten ourselves into a big mess in the world, with each other, with ourselves and who God created us to be, with wars and factions and hate. He saw us turning on one another and using one another for our own ends when we were made to give ourselves away. Instead of scolding us or sending fire to consume us, God painted Himself into creation! Jesus jumped onto the canvas and got down into the mess with us! (Immanuel = “God with us”). What does it look like for Jesus to jump into the canvass of our somewhat messy world today? “This is the message you have heard from the beginning: We should love one another.” (v.3:11)
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- At the macro level, and without getting into any specifics about this opinion or that opinion, what are some of the key topics or issues in our world that cause us to have animosity (or hatred) for one another? Why do you think it is like that?
- Read 1 John 3:11-24 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- Similar to the “Lean In” question, but this time at the micro or personal level – what are some of the key topics or issues in our world that causes individuals to have animosity (or hatred) for one another? Why do you think it is like that?
- What is the outcome of this type of personal animosity (or hatred) between people that you have personally witnessed or experienced? (i.e. divorce, gossip, slander, etc.)
- How have you experienced the Holy Spirit convict you when you have felt animosity (or hatred) towards another? What did you do or how did you respond?
- What areas of your life are most affected (positively) when you “remain” in Jesus? What does it look like for you to “remain” in Christ?
Live It Out:
- Read John chapters 13, 14, 15 several times during the week. As you read, pray that the Holy Spirit would teach you how to remain in Jesus. Did the Holy Spirit highlight anything in these chapters as your next step in “loving one another”?