May 7, 2023
Message Big Idea
I saw a creative billboard that simply said,
“You know that ‘love your enemy thing’?
I really meant it!
– God –
Sometimes we can begin to look at those who oppose the message of Christ as our enemies. We can take an adversarial posture and forget that God’s desire is for everyone to find new life in Jesus! The door for the gospel was opened when Peter and John reached out and ministered to a broken and hurting man. Their ministry in the name and love of Jesus started a ripple effect that touched many lives. Today we celebrate these bold champions of the gospel and praise God for how their lives are still impacting our faith and giving us a bold example to live by!
- Describe a time when you had an opportunity to do something or say something but were too timid to do it. How did it make you feel after this experience?
- Now describe a moment of boldness in your life, when you seized the opportunity to do something, and you took it! How did that make you feel?
- Read Acts 3:1-26.
- What parts of this passage intrigued you most? What stood out? Why?
- Go around the group and share key highlights or takeaways from the previous Sunday’s message. What jumped out at you as impactful and/or made you want to know more?
- (Verses 1-10) In light of the ongoing hostility of the Jewish religious leaders toward the followers of Jesus, what surprises you most about:
- Where Peter and John went?
- When Peter and John went there?
- What Peter and John did in this place?
- (Verses 11-26) What were some of the truthful but tough things Peter said to those who were listening? What were some of the truthful and encouraging things Peter said?
- What are some of the truthful but hard things for you to share with others?
- What are some encouraging things that we all should be sharing with others?
- Peter called the people to “Repent and turn to God so that your sins will be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord” (Acts 3:19). Take some time in your group and share stories of how you came to the point of repentance before God.
- When do you experience the refreshment and presence of God most in your life? Do you want more of God in your life at this moment? Ask the group to help you think of ways to get more of God and His presence and boldness in your life.
- Tell us about one person you spend time with regularly who does not know Christ, but who you are praying will experience God in a new way this next year.
Live It Out
- What is one truth from this passage would you like to take to heart and act upon? How will this affect your life?
- Who can you share this with during the week?