April 23, 2023
Message Big Idea
As Christians, we are a part of the same church that began on the day of Pentecost, called to spread the story of Jesus around the world. In our head, we need to know that we have a Holy Spirit-empowered role to play in building God’s church. In our heart, we need to feel emboldened in our faith and excited about being a part of God’s community. And in our actions, we need to live boldly as witnesses for Christ, enduring possible opposition and looking for opportunities to reach out to people who do not know Jesus.
- What is the scariest thing you have ever decided to do? Looking back, would you do it again?
- Read Acts 2:1-41 (Read twice -if possible, two different translations.) What parts of this passage intrigued you most? Why?
- Go around the group and share key highlights or takeaways from the previous Sunday’s message. What jumped out at you as impactful and/or made you want to know more?
- Before we examine this passage, what are your initial reactions and observations of Pentecost? What appears to be the purpose of the Holy Spirit empowering the apostles?
- The Holy Spirit’s descent was so loud that it drew a crowd. Take a look at verses 6–11. In what ways does this gathering provide an opportunity for the disciples to fulfill Acts 1:8?
- (Optional) Review The Bible Project Video https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/gospel-acts-1/
- (Read out loud) “This scene might appear chaotic, but it did not devolve into ecstatic confusion. Instead, the disciples leaped into action, telling Jews who had gathered from all the corners of the known world about Jesus in every known language. This miracle not only foreshadows the spread of the gospel to the ends of the earth but also confirms the truth of the disciples’ message. ”
- What events in your life have confirmed the truth of the gospel?
- In what ways is the Holy Spirit empowering you to share the gospel today?
- (Read out loud) “The same Spirit that empowered the disciples resides in every Christian. He empowers us to leap into the mission of God and spread the gospel to those who don’t know Jesus. Some people may believe us and accept Jesus. Others may reject us out of hand. Regardless of the result of our evangelism, the Holy Spirit moves us to action.”
- What fears or hesitation in your own life do you need to let the Holy Spirit overcome for the sake of fulfilling Acts 1:8?
Live It Out
- What is one truth from this passage would you like to take to heart and act upon? How will this affect your life?
- Who can you share this with during the week?