August 7, 2022 – Pastor Ernest Duplessis
Message Big Idea –The situation is this… Jesus has been invited to the house of Mary and Martha, to visit, eat, and perhaps even lodge with them. As Jesus sat, Mary sat as well, and engaged Him in conversation, listening and hanging on His every word. In the meantime, Martha is busy making preparations for their House Guest. It’s not long before Martha gets agitated that Mary is not helping, but rather is sitting listening to Jesus. As Martha enlists the Lord’s help in the dispute, Jesus lets her know that it is she (Martha) who is in the wrong, and not Mary. Martha had chosen worry and busyness over resting and listening in the presence of Jesus.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Recall a time when you were so busy planning or preparing or stressing about an event or activity that you were not able to fully enjoy or appreciate it. Describe the before and after feelings, energy level, and attitude you had in that frenetic activity.
- Read Luke 10:38-42 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- We are tempted to try all sorts of things that are inferior to Jesus when we are seeking energy and motivation for life. What sorts of things do many people do to find fulfillment or happiness in life?
- How can someone be consistent in the Word without falling into either a dry routine or legalism?
- What are the benefits here and now when we prioritize our time with Jesus?
- What is your biggest enemy in spending consistent time alone with God? How can you overcome it?
- Someone says, “I tried doing that, but I didn’t get anything out of it.” How do you reply?
Live It Out:
- This week, ask 2-3 other followers of Jesus you know (from a small group or church) some ideas about what to do in a daily devotional time. Which ones resonate with you?
- Devote the first “portion” of your day to the Lord.
- Share with at least one person what God has been teaching you in your quiet times.