April 25, 2022 – Pastor Mark Albrecht (John 20:19-21)
Message Big Idea – Jesus was sent by the Father on a mission. Luke 19:10 says he came to “seek and save the lost.” To reconnect the created to the creator! The Good News is a message of hope that was meant to be shared! After Jesus rose from the grave, he gave his last charge to his followers for all time, “As the Father sent me, so I send you.” We are on a mission too. Jesus invites us to follow him – we are sent with PURPOSE, with SERVICE, and with POWER! Discipleship is about training for mission – equipped and trained to be his “sent ones”.
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today?
What are you struggling with today?
- Describe a time when you went through some sort of “training” in order to
fulfill a purpose. It could be music lessons so that you could eventually play
that instrument and read music. It could be a job training program or
schooling in order to be a _____ (job title). What was it like to “train”? What
was the end goal?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read John 20:15-19-21 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- Review (as a group or individually) some of the ways Jesus “trained” his
disciples while he walked with them (i.e. taught them to pray; to serve
others; how to heal; sent them out two-by-two; etc.)
- What concerns some people about being “sent out” on mission for Jesus?
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- When you think about the NB Discipleship Pathway Pastor Mark described
(Alive to God’s love / Anchor in God’s truth / Activate for God’s mission /
Advance God’s kingdom), share with your group some of the ways you have
experienced growth in one or more of those pathway areas.
- How ready are you to help someone else move and grow through the
pathway? Do you know enough to help them get started? What might you
need in order to be ready?
- This summer, how can you follow Jesus’ example by “eating and drinking”
(sharing a meal)?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this
passage? (i.e. “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- What sphere of influence is God calling you to initiate relationships? Write
down the names of 1-3 people God is placing on your heart and begin praying
for them daily this week. Watch as God prepares (trains) your life in order to