April 16, 2023
Message Big Idea
Acts 1 is the bridge between the Gospel of Luke and the foundation of the church. It is a brief pause before Jesus released his disciples to spread the gospel in Jerusalem, Samaria, and to the ends of the Earth. As we read this chapter, we will discover the purpose and power Jesus promises to give his followers and his call to us to participate in his ongoing work.
- What makes waiting on a promise different than waiting on an uncertain hope?
- Describe a time you were waiting on something in your life. Was it a sure thing (promise) or were you waiting on an uncertain hope? How did you feel in either case?
- Read Acts 1:1-11 (Read twice -if possible, two different translations.) What parts of this passage intrigued you most? Why?
- Go around the group and share key highlights or takeaways from the previous Sunday’s message. What jumped out at you as impactful and/or made you want to know more?
- In general, what do you think most people are hoping for in life?
- What do you think most people are hoping for in terms of their city or community?
- What do you think it means to make disciples? How have you seen discipleship play out in your life?
- What do people changed by Jesus say about him?
- What have you seen Jesus do in your life? In what ways has he changed your life?
- In what ways is God writing his story in your home, neighborhood, workplace, and church?
- In what ways do you feel unsure of what God wants you to do next?
- The disciples were so stunned by Jesus’ departure that two angels had to snap them out of their stupor to remind them of the commission they had just received. If you are unsure of what God wants you to do, don’t wait around for a sign from heaven. God has told you what to do -> You are his witness, empowered by his Holy Spirit to make disciples. That is a mission worth giving your life to. What are you thoughts about this?
Live It Out
- What is one truth from this passage would you like to take to heart and act upon? How will this affect your life?
- Who can you share this with during the week?