January 1, 2023 – Pastor Mark Albrecht
Message Big Idea – Daniel 10-12 offers some timely insights as we start 2023. It informs how we should view human conflicts and world events and depicts
the horrors of human evil concentrated in the State. Yet, this passage shows how Christians should respond: expectation and prayer. In this way, we press into Jesus like never before.
- Take a moment to reflect (if you are going through this on your own) or share (if you are with others in a group setting): What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- In you have time, watch the following video of Coptic Christians worshipping within their church after it was bombed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_MQflmHFo. What are your thoughts after watching the video?
- Read Daniel 10-12 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Take a moment to briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What words or phrases “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- Reflect on Daniel 10:12-14 concerning the spiritual conflict occurring in the background of this passage. How does that shape your outlook on human conflict and world events? How does this differ from the secular perspective or even other Christians you may know of?
- Consider the atrocities committed by leader described in Daniel 11:32-35. What does this tell you about the dangers of government and power? How does this differ from contemporary voices in our culture? What or who ultimately limits human power (e.g., bearing arms, checks & balances, international alliances, etc.)?
- Daniel spent devoted time in prayer and mourning for extended periods of time (Dan. 10:1-6) and God responded (Dan. 10:12). What does this tell you about the role of prayer in human conflict and world events? Do you view prayer as a powerful and effective practice (James 5:16)? How is this view present in your daily practice of prayer?
- Observe how God revealed future persecution for God’s people (Daniel 11:32-35). How do you view persecution? Do you expect it (John 15:19-20)? Do you
anticipate it to increase and intensify?
- How does Daniel 12:1-3 influence how you should respond to persecution? In what ways can you press into Jesus like never before?
Live It Out:
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e., “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word!
- Spend some time intentionally praying about current human conflict and world events. Pray for those in Ukraine, Afghanistan, and North Korea. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you how to pray, to intercede for those who are persecuted and suffering. Call on the Lord to provide peace in the wake of future persecution as it intensifies and increases. In this moment of stillness, press into Jesus like never before. Amen.