July 31, 2022 – John David, Elder
1 John 4:7-21
Message Big Idea – Whether now or later, everyone has to figure out what to do with Jesus Christ. If we reject Him, we also reject the life that He gives. But if we accept Him, we receive the abundant and eternal life that He has promised those who put their trust in Him. As believers, we have eternal life in Christ. It is a gift from God, which is obtained only through Jesus Christ. This gives us confidence before God as His children. Having such a gift of eternal life in Christ and having a relationship with Christ should be manifested through our love and obedience to God, and our love for each other.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Our life in Christ is lived out through our love and obedience to God, and our love and service for others. Give an example of a moment you demonstrated your love for God by serving another? In what way did the experience impact you? How did it impact them?
- Read 1 John 4:7-21 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- Verse 1 and 4 talks about being born of God. What does it mean to be born of God? And how does that happen? If you can, use passages from other books of the Bible to support your point.
- Verse 3 talks about keeping the commandments of God. What does that mean? What commandment is referenced here?
- What does it mean to believe or not believe the testimony of God? Verses 9-12.
- Looking at the entire passage, 5:1-21, what do you identify as some of the actions (things) that believers are called to do?
- Verses 1-5 talks about faith in Christ, loving God, loving others, obeying God’s commandment, and overcoming the world as manifestations of being born of God. Which of these manifestations do you consider most challenging?
- If fully lived out by followers of Jesus, how do you think these manifestations would impact the lives of unbelievers?
- Verses 6-12 talks about the testimonies of water, blood, Holy Spirit, and God concerning Christ. What do you think of Jesus and your faith in the light of these testimonies? Do you consider these testimonies sufficient in reaching out to others with the gospel of Christ? How would you use it in discussing the gospel with unbelievers?
- Verses 13-21 talks about the confidence that we have in approaching God in prayer. How does that make you feel about your faith in Christ and your prayer life?
Live It Out:
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e. “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word!