February 6, 2022 – Pastor Dawn Hayman
Series Big Idea – In Matthew 7, Jesus talks about building our lives on a firm foundation. He refers to himself as “the rock” upon which our feet are to be grounded. Essentially, he is saying that he is the center of our lives. The same holds true for our family life, our (if you are married) marriages, and (if you have children) our parenting. What does a “Flourishing Family” look like? This series looks at biblical examples of what it looks like to be a flourishing woman, man, child, parent, husband, or wife. It will encourage and convict. But ultimately, it is designed for us to live with Christ at the center of it all!
Message Big Idea –The lives of four women who experienced flourishing lives: Mary, The Shulammite Woman, Abigail, and Pricilla.
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Describe a television show you remember (current or in the past) about a family. Examples could be: All in the Family; The Cosby Show; Leave it to Beaver; This is Us; Family Ties; etc. Regardless of if that show was a sit-com or a drama, what good and bad qualities were evident in that family? Have fun recalling some of those things.
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Romans 16:1-5 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most?
- What does this passage tell us about God? What does it tell us about ourselves?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- In what ways do many women seek to be affirmed in today’s culture?
- How does that differ from the ways Jesus affirms both women and men?
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- Pricilla was affirmed by Paul as a leader and partner in ministry. How do you think that made her feel?
- In what ways do you feel most affirmed in your life? In what ways do you feel least affirmed in your life?
- Who can you affirm today (and mean it)?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? I will …
- Become a student (begin the conversation)
- BE determined (not to give up)
- Believe (God has your very best in mind and protects you)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?