February 27, 2022 – Pastor Mark Albrecht
Message Big Idea – Grandparents are an integral part of every family. They are members who bring value when they are honored and given a platform to share wisdom. They are important partners in establishing and sharing faith and add exponential significance as they share blessings and inheritance. Grandparents are a vital part of God’s design for flourishing families.
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- Who was or is your most influential grandparent? What made/makes them special?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Proverbs 20:29 in the ESV- What is the difference between glory and splendor?
- Read Leviticus 19:32- Why do you think God declares His name at the end of this verse?
- Read Psalm 90:12 – What does numbering our day teach us? Who wrote this Psalm?
- Read Psalm 92:12-15- What do the righteous declare in their old age?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- Society encourages grandparents to be a distant support role. The ‘end years’ are sold as the time to move to a warmer climate, enjoy one’s hobbies and send a check or gift on birthdays and holidays. How does a biblical view of flourishing families influence this perspective? See Job 12:12, 3 John v4.
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- Researchers tell us that by the third-generation immigrants will lose their native tongue when assimilating into a new culture. The only exception is when parents and grandparents regularly speak the native language in the home. Faith is much like a language. What role did your grandparents play in your faith journey? If none, how do you plan on changing this legacy for your family?
- The average person is exposed to more information in one day than someone was exposed to in their entire lifetime 100 years ago. Grandparents can play a vital role in helping the younger generations discern what to focus on for happiness or success. What perspective can you glean from interactions with, stories of, or general knowledge about your grandparents? What was the focus of their lives?
- Grandparents play a special role in imparting a blessing onto their grandchildren. Genesis 48:8-20 tells the story of a grandfather who didn’t know his grandkids well but still blessed them. When reading this story, how does it inform your concept of blessing? Have you ever been blessed by your grandparents? If yes, what significance has that played in your life?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- Take time to pray for and communicate with your grandparents. If your grandparents are not a part of your life, reflect on how God has orchestrated situations to bring you to this moment through their lives.
- Consider reading more about the subject BLESSINGS in the book written by John Trent and Gary Smally THE BLESSING
- Write a paragraph on what you will start doing or stop doing as a result of reflecting on the saying “life your life in such a way that if you die at 99 people will say it’s too soon”