May 29, 2022 – Gary Rohrmayer
Message Big Idea – Through all the wonderful stories, law and gospel, scripture reveals and presents the fullness of God’s nature. As we engage the Bible and grow in our knowledge of God, we may experience fear, awe, or what this week’s passage calls trembling. In these 7 verses of Psalm 119, we discover that a trembling love exposes confidence in who God is, an affection for His word, and a life marked with obedience.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Trembling love is a heart response of affection rooted in the knowledge of God’s greatness of power and position. Describe a time when you felt trembling love and awe of God? What was the setting? What helped you feel awe? What was the result or fruit?
- Read Psalm 119:161-168 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- V162 says rejoicing like one who won the lottery flows from the heart of one who knows God’s word. To whom do you normally share what you find when engaging God’s Word? Is it well received?
- V165 says that great peace marks the life of those who love the law of God. Who do you know that displays a great peace in their life?
- One of the pieces of evidence of a trembling love for God’s Word is confidence in it. What are some of the ways you find yourself using and returning to the Word of God on a regular basis?
- Another evidence of a trembling love is obedience to the commands and statutes found in God’s Word. Like a child who appreciates the care and provision of their parents and gladly obeys the rules communicated. What are some of the ways that you express love through obedience?
- How can you grow in your love for God’s word this week?
Live It Out:
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e. “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word!