June 5, 2022 – Pastor Dawn Hayman
1 John 1:1-4
Message Big Idea – Through all the wonderful stories, law and gospel, scripture reveals and presents the fullness of God’s nature. As we engage the Bible and grow in our knowledge of God, we may experience fear, awe, or what this week’s passage calls trembling. In these 7 verses of Psalm 119, we discover that a trembling love exposes confidence in who God is, an affection for His word, and a life marked with obedience.
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- Trembling love is a heart response of affection rooted in the knowledge of God’s greatness of power and position. Describe a time when you felt trembling love and awe of God? What was the setting? What helped you feel awe? What was the result or fruit?
- Read 1 John 1:1-4 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- V1 says that John is proclaiming what ‘they’ have heard and seen and touched. What role does personal experience in your relationship to God play in your witness to others?
- V2 states “This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him”. What implications does Jesus being ‘life itself’ communicate to your heart? How do you connect those implications to your everyday life?
- V3. Why and how is testimony important to fellowship with other believers and with God?
- Though somewhat different from the disciples’ experience, in what ways can Christ’s presence be heard, seen, touched, and looked at within your own life?
- V4. What is the relationship between the testifying of Jesus’ work in your everyday life proclamation of Christ and the completion of joy in one’s life? How is this being experienced in your life?
Live It Out:
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? (i.e. “I will ….”)
- Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?
- Journal about your time in God’s Word this week. Stop to listen to what He might be telling you. Celebrate His presence through His Word!