August 14, 2022 – Pastor Gary Ricci
Message Big Idea – Summer is quickly coming to an end, and we are running towards Fall 2022. For over 20+ years here at NorthBridge Church, we have witnessed “Yay God” stories about God’s faithfulness and how He has given us a mission to share the Good News with our community! In a way, that is our “greater cloud of witnesses”. Now it’s time, like a finely tuned athlete, to strip down to the bare essentials to run the race and not let anything get in the way of our relationship with God and mission in life to join Him in his work. Today’s message and passage is all about “fixing our eyes on Jesus” so we can run the race and bear much fruit!
- Take some time and share with each other: What are you grateful for today? What are you struggling with today?
- If you could have one person who is no longer here on earth stand on the sideline and cheer you on and coach you in this next season of life, who would that be and why? IT could be someone you knew personally and is no longer here, or someone historically you admire.
- Read Hebrews 12:1-3 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Go around the group and briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most? Why?
- How is sin sometimes like a weed in our lives? Have you ever known sin to start off small but then quickly get out of control?
- Bonhoeffer said this about sin: “Being a Christian is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God’s will…”. Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
- When it says, “Fix Your Eyes on Jesus”, the literal translation is actually closer to: “Look Away TO Jesus!” What does that imply about things that distract us in life?
- Have you ever chosen to be accountable with someone about some way that you wanted to change? Was it helpful? Why or why not? If we are going to be accountable with someone, what are some important considerations at both ends of the relationship?
- What are some potential ways God might want to use YOU to represent and reflect his love to others the more you “throw off sin”?
- What are you most excited about as you “run the race” of life today? What are you most anxious about? How can you “fix your eyes on Jesus” in the midst?
Live It Out:
- This week, ask 2-3 other followers of Jesus you know (from a small group or church) some ideas about what to do in a daily devotional time. Which ones resonate with you?
- Devote the first “portion” of your day to the Lord.
- Read Philippians 4:8-9. What does God want you to think about this week?
- Share with at least one person what God has been teaching you in your quiet times.