September 26, 2021 – Pastor Mark Albrecht
Message Big Idea – Life and faith is all about growth and progress. We base that growth on our relationship with Jesus as we learn to follow Him faithfully and to the best of our ability. But sometimes, “the way it’s always been” stops us from growth that leads toward full life and freedom in Christ. This series is about things we need to “UNLEARN” in order to make space for God’s grace in our life that leads to new life!
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- What are you grateful for this week? What are you struggling with?
- Read the following quote: “I was a Christian for twenty-two years. But instead of being a twenty-two-year-old Christian, I was a one-year old Christian twenty-two times! I just kept doing the same things over and over and over again.” (Pete Scazzero, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, pg. 23)
- What are your thoughts after reading that quote?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Luke 18:10-12; Galatians 6:4-5 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- In regard to “comparison”, do you think most people struggle with: A) Feelings of Inadequacy; B) Jealousy; C) Pride? Explain.
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- A big part of “Unlearning comparison” is ANCHORING your Identity in Christ. Compare and contrast your life before and after Christ. In what ways would you describe yourself differently?
- Read Ephesians 1:1-14 silently to yourself. Write down at least 7 of the blessings Ephesians tells us are given to those who are ‘in Christ’.
- What are 2 aspects of our new identity from Ephesians 1:1-14 that stand out to you?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- Read Ephesians 2:6 out loud.
- Think about a place where you are personally seeking to earn a seat. Describe why this seat is important to you at this point in your life.
- What changes would happen in your life if you truly believed and lived as one ‘seated in the heavenly realms’?
- Because I’m seated in Christ, I can stop…
- Because I’m seated in Christ, I feel…
- Because I’m seated in Christ, I think…