November 14, 2021 – Pastor Bill Yaccino
Message Big Idea – The me-first mindset is a pattern that every Christian must unlearn. It’s a mindset that even goes back to Adam and Eve in the garden. Within 3 chapters in Mark we see Jesus teaching His disciples, through very practical ways, that His kingdom is built in a different way than every other kingdom known to man. A mindset that places the will of God and the need of others at the center of our decisions, plans and activities is the way of His kingdom. A Father first mindset that reorients us towards love, sacrifice and service. To be the greatest in His kingdom you must become a servant to all.
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- Which of the service sectors in our society do you regularly find yourself most grateful for? (Example, food, healthcare, energy).
- How do you normally express this gratitude?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Mark chapter 8-10 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most?
- What does this passage tell us about God? About Us? About the world?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- Pastor Bill taught us that a life of self-indulgence and self-interest leads to boredom, loneliness, dissatisfaction, frustration and a partnership with darkness. Can you illustrate these truths with examples from personal experience?
- Pastor Bill said the Kingdom of God is like an upside-down kingdom, where the priorities are opposite of the kingdoms of this world.
- First, name some kingdoms of this world.
- Second, illustrate this truth by comparing some kingdom principles from one of those kingdoms against the Kingdom of God.
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- Re-read Mark 8:31-34.
When reading try to think about the words of Jesus as if you were one of His disciples hearing for the first time. He had not yet gone to the cross or even mentioned it before, let alone rise from the dead. How would you have interpreted His teaching here?
- Re-read Mark 9:33-37.
Which of these Me-first mindsets do you most find yourself struggling against?
- You compare yourself to others
- You find your identity in performance or other’s opinions
- You are not able to celebrate other’s success
- Gifted people are removed from your life as a threat
- You are judgmental and controlling
- You want a say in everything
- Mark 10:43-45 says “But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be the slave of everyone else. For even the Son of man came not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
Who do you personally know that is the best illustration of this verse? How can you encourage them this week?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- What is God telling you to do as a result of this message and passage?
- Who can you tell about taking a step of obedience in this area?