October 31, 2021 – Pastor Mark Albrecht
Message Big Idea – What happens when our individual rights (sometimes entitlement) which are protected and valued in our culture, conflict with the message of the Gospel and example of Jesus? When do we stand up for our rights, and when do we set them aside for the sake of the other?
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- What are you grateful for this week? What are you struggling with?
- Recall a time when you felt like you were a victim of injustice. Maybe someone cut in line ahead of you, or took credit for your idea, etc. How did it make you feel, or how did you respond?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Philippians 1:27-2:4 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Briefly retell the passage in your own words.
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most?
- What does this passage tell us about God? About Us? About the world?
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- In what ways do you think our Western culture (i.e. think consumerism and individuality) contributes to us having an obsession with “my rights”?
- Where have you seen heightened levels of anger or frustration in regards to personal rights? (Note: If discussing with a group, please refrain from overly political issues that may spark additional frustration or anger in others!)
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- Re-read Phil. 2:3-4. As a group (or personal reflection) write down ways that Jesus looked beyond his own interests and took the interests of others. Also, list the ways the Apostle Paul looked beyond his own interests and took the interests of others.
- Now, look back at the past 7 days. In what ways have YOU looked beyond your own interests and took the interests of others? How can you do more of that in the coming week?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- Journal your thoughts about this message and the area of individualism.
- What is God telling you to do as a result of this message and passage?
- Who can you tell about taking a step of obedience in this area?