June 20, 2021 (Pastor Bill Yaccino) – (Matt. 8:5-10; Luke 5:1-11)
Message Big Idea – Jesus is amazed (he literally drops his jaw and marvels) when a Roman soldier trusts Jesus and says, “Just say the word, and I know my servant will be healed.” What does it look like in “real life” to be a “Just Say The Word” follower of Jesus? Listen. Trust Him. Take the next step! This simple truth will set you free and set your life in an entirely new trajectory!
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- What are you grateful for this week? What are you struggling with?
- Recall a time when you have either given or received orders from someone. How were they received? Were the orders carried out?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Matthew 8:5-10; Luke 5:1-11 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Try to briefly retell the passage in your own words (if you’re in a group setting, go around the group)
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
- Under what circumstances is it easy to respect authority?
- Under what circumstances is it difficult to respect authority?
- In the second (Luke) passage, we see Simon (Peter) reluctantly listen to Jesus, trust Him, and eventually take the next step in responding to Him. Why do you think it is so difficult for people to trust Jesus today?
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- Can you relate to Peter being reluctant at first? What risks do you associate with following Jesus? How do these risks cause you to hesitate?
- What would help you allow Jesus to “use your boat”? Be honest. Do you have others surrounding you encouraging you and modeling what it looks like to follow Jesus? Or are you trying to live this life or follow Jesus on your own?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- Based on where you are at right now, what is your next step in following Jesus?
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?