June 13, 2021 (Pastor Mark Albrecht) – Lydia (Acts 16:6-15)
Message Big Idea – God rewards those who genuinely seek Him, and all those who seek Him can impact their sphere of influence. One way we do that is by being generous and offering hospitality to others, and by doing so, we reveal God’s heart to others. Like Lydia, we will change the world by making disciples who make disciples.
DIG DEEPER >>
Reflect on the following sequence of questions. If you are doing this with others, share your responses with them.
LEAN IN >> Think about it.
- What are you grateful for this week? What are you struggling with?
- Recall a time when doors closed for a path or decision you were planning on taking. How did you make you feel? Did you look for other ways God might be working, or did you complain and give up?
LOOK DOWN >> Read the following passages and discuss or reflect on the the corresponding questions:
- Read Acts 16:6-15 (Read twice – ESV and either NLT or Message)
- Try to briefly retell the passage in your own words (if you’re in a group setting, go around the group)
- What word or phrase “jumped off the page” and intrigued you the most
LOOK OUT >> Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
The text said that Paul and his team sat down to talk with women that had gathered on the Sabbath. Lydia was there and she was spiritually curious. In today’s culture, where would a person go to seek answers if they were spiritually curious? In general, how generous and/or hospitable are Christians today towards others outside of the church walls?
LOOK IN >> Go straight to the heart of the matter.
- If someone asked, can you share your story of when you were spiritually curious, and your heart opened (like Lydia’s heart became ALIVE to God’s love)?
- Are there times when you sense God telling you to be more hospitable? Have you followed through with that God leading?
LIVE IT OUT >> Put it into action.
- Are there groups or people in your sphere of influence that need to hear the good news of the Gospel? How well do you know their story or where they are in life? What story of God’s faithfulness can you share with them?
- What is one thing God seems to be asking you to do in response to this passage? Who can you tell about this “I will” statement in the next 48 hours?