Message Date: Sunday, April 11 (Watch)
Text: John 10:10; Romans 5:1-2; Luke 19:1-10
Message Big Idea: Experiencing God is what transforms us. Jesus lived a remarkable life and the secret to this is not explained by the fact that He is the Son of God, but that He had access to His Father. When we choose to do life with Jesus, He gives that access to us. Authentic experience with Jesus is learned through a messy process but it is worth it because it transforms us. If we want to be experienced, we must make room to access God and to give Him access to us.
Think about it.
Do you agree or disagree with the statement, “Access changes everything!” Why? Think of a time when you experienced having access to someone or something special or privileged.
Read Luke 19:1-10.
- What are some of the first things you would do if you knew Jesus was coming to your house? Would you take more time preparing your heart or house?
- The religious leaders in this story didn’t believe Zacchaeus deserved to have Jesus talk with him. How can you fight against the attitude that some people are more deserving of grace while others have fallen too far away?
- Jesus didn’t mention anything about money, sin, or the need to repent when he was talking with Zacchaeus. Do you associate the presence of Jesus with Holiness and the need of repentance? Why or why not?
- Why was it important for Zacchaeus to take actions that supported his change of heart?
Connect the world of the Bible to our culture.
In what ways can past sins and guilt keep you from wanting to be in the presence of Jesus?
Go straight to the heart of the matter.
Salvation coming to Zacchaeus’ house had nothing to do with him giving away his money. Jesus was going to his house no matter the reaction. Zacchaeus needed to refocus his heart and mind from money to Jesus.
What might it look like for you to refocus your heart on Jesus? What area of your life might be drawing you away from God?
Spend time thanking Jesus for seeking us out and calling us by name! Lift up prayer requests, especially for those who feel lost or alone.
LIVE IT OUT
Put it into action.
- During the week, commit to acting on at least one God prompt as a result of this week’s message.
- Consider sharing this week’s message with someone.
- Connect (text, phone, coffee, etc.) with someone this week to encourage them and ask them how you can pray for them.